Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Community Computing Center
How can I contribute
Ideas on how to run a center
myth of niche skills
Read about us
Add "All Pages"
We have compiled the curriculum in a manner which takes into account the preference demonstrated by children attending AC3. This course typically takes three months but may be extended if the needarises. Below is the curriculum spread over three months.
We maintain attendance sheet to ensure regularity. An evaluation method, different from the usual test taking one is being planned, which shall be implemented with coming batches at AC3.
Week 1- 3
Fundamentals and Operating System
Identify the hardware parts like monitor, CPU, keyboard, mouse, CD drive, motherboard, hard disk, etc., and on/off the computer properly.
Knowledge about memory (bits, bytes, KB, MB,GP) and calculation and conversion like kilobyte into megabyte, megabytes into gigabyte, etc. find the file size, file type, etc.
Working with files and folders (create folders, coping files into different locations, moving files and folders, deleting files and folders) using desktop.
Use calculator, text editor, paint.
Search the files and folders in all partitions using various options (ie. File name option, “specific extension” option, “containing data” Option).
Set desktop background and screen saver, using my computer and my document folder.
Week 4- 5
Create and Format presentations (Adding Text, Grouping Objects, Insert Picture from file, Clip Art, backgrounds, layouts, templates)
Add graphics and animation ( sound, animation and slide transitions)
Save, Hide, Run and Print presentations.
Document handling – Create,Open,Save,Save as a document. Create and using Template.
Editing document – cut, copy, paste, Go to, find and replace .
Print document – page set-up, margins, orientation, header and footer, page no, print preview and print a document.
Formatting - Font format ( name, size, style,etc.), alignment(left, right, center, justify), line space ( single, double, 1.5), Change case ( upper, lower, sentence, title, toggle)
Inserting objects – symbols, date and time, pictures, word-art, drawing objects, auto shapes, bullets, numbering
Table – Insert, delete rows and columns, Auto table format, Split and merge cells, Alignment text, ordering data in a table.
Identifying workbook,worksheet,row,column and cell address
Entering Data – Cell merge and alignment
Sorting Data – order(ascent,decent), filter, auto filter tools ,
Analyzing Data – Functions (Maths,logical,text functions)
Displaying Data – Selecting graphs, labels, titles, colours
Options – Fill, Auto-sum, Conditional formatting, cell format, Custom List
Browsing – Firefox
Email – Sending, receiving emails. Attachments.
Chat using Google chat and other chat server and chat clients
Uploading, downloading images, movies, songs.
Children attending the basic course in AC3 will undergo the following evaluation process.
1. Desktop: Students will be able to use either Gnome or XFCE desktop with proficiency. This will be evaluated by just giving them tasks like changing desktop back group, enable/disable screen savers, launching an application through menu and terminal, adding items in panel, etc.
2. Open/Libre office: Designing business cards, front/back covers of a book, model page of a news paper can be an assignment to evaluate their understanding on document writer. Creating a presentation on a selected topic and delivering to the class will reveal their capabilities on presentation. Similarly, spreadsheet development for a small business or their own marks and school time table may be an assignment to evaluate them on spreadsheet.
3. Internet: By the end of the course, the student will be able to search the net for the content they need. They will also be able to send/receive emails, chat over the net. These can be evaluated by asking them to send an email to each other and adding CC/BCC to the tutor. Quick learners may also create and write their blogs. We hope to see that students being empowered by creating their contents, publishing it on the net through blogs or creating their home page.
4. Free Software Philosophy: At the end of the course, the students should be able to understand the fundamentals of Free Software Philosophy, difference between Free Software, Open Source, proprietary software, etc. They will be able to explain the four freedom of Free Software and why they are important.
At the end of the course, the children will be issued a certificate of proficiency.
After successful completion of the basic course and proper evaluation AC3 encourages the higher courses to be organic. Each student is encouraged to identify their areas of interest and the core staff at
helps them pursue their interest in the field.
Apart from Free Software training, students of community computer centers will undergo the following sessions to enable themselves with a general overview of the world around them. These sessions will be delivered one per week. The day of the week will be selected according to the students' scheduled.
1. Understanding Earth - 2hrs
- Big Bang
- Sun formation
- Earth and moon formation
- Solar system
- Day and night
- Seasons of earth
2. Beyond Solar System - 2hrs
- Geo Centric and Helio Centric models of Solar system
- What are stars?
- Black hole
- Speed of light
- Light year(distance measured using time)
- Scale of Universe
3. Origin of Life - 2hrs
- Darwin's evolution theory(Origin of Species)
- Mendel's laws
- Cell, Nucleus, Chromosome and DNA
- From Single cell to complex organisms
4. Origin of Humans - 2hrs
- Darwin's evolution theory(Descent of Man)
- Primitive society - Hunters and Gatherers
- Discovery of Agriculture - Slavery and Feudal system
- Industrial revolution - Capitalist system evolves
- Current economic crisis
5. History of Religion - 2hrs
- Preliminary worshiping forms
- Idol worship
- From tribal to kingdom transition and organization of religion
- Introduction to three very ancient religions like Judaism, Vedic religion and Taoism
- Arrival of Christianity and Islam.
- Religious practices, superstition and current trends
6. History of Science Part 1- 2 hrs
7. History of Science Part 2 - 2hrs
- Michealson & Moreley experiment and no ether: Crisis in physics
- Einstien and Relativity
- Quantum Theory
8. Philosophy Part 1 - 2hrs
9 Philosophy Part 2 - 2hrs
10. Current economic crisis - 2hrs
- What happened
- How does it impact our lives
11. Global warming - 2hrs
- What is green house effect
- What happens when 2 degrees raise temperature
- How does global climate changes affect the poor first.
- How to live with simplicity
- What all above issues affect India
- Indian history
- What shall we do.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"