Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Community Computing Center
How can I contribute
Ideas on how to run a center
myth of niche skills
Read about us
Add "All Pages"
faq intro ac3
community computing model
Community computing is an empowerment initiative owned by the local community to bridge the widening digital divide, using free software.
What is AC3 (Ambedkar Community Computing Center)?
- It is a computer center based on community computing model, located in
(behind IBM off of Bannerghatta Road), Bangalore.
- Run by local youth (Mani, Sarasu, Santhosh et.al.) with the help from Software Freedom Law Center(SFLC) with FSMK volunteers coming to teach. Initially this center started by Ambedkar Youth Sangha, Stree Jagruthi Samithi,
and Free Software Movement Karnataka.
What is the vision?
- Create self sustained and gainfully employable local community with quality computer skills.
- Enable upward social mobility to the children by providing computer skills and educational support
- Create agents of change from the local community who can be catalysts for a social transformation.
What is the working model?
- Volunteers from software companies teach selected/senior youth from the community
- The local youth in turn teach the younger children
- Free software (GNU/Linux, open office, gimp etc.) are used
What motivates the volunteers?
- Satisfaction of making a positive change in the community
- Outcomes like
by a 9th standard student
- Recognitions like
I remember reading about it in the newspapers..
Yes. AC3 has these press coverages:
What are the future plans?
- Improve the teaching quality to a significant measurable level.
- Improved and fun filled curriculum following experimental/play way method
- Replicate AC3 to atleast 5 more urban slums in bangalore
- Explore local enterprise options
How do I help?
- Volunteer your time teaching at the center
- Donate used laptops
- Donate money to sustain AC3 and start similar centers
- Get your company to donate used/usable laptops
- Help in starting up new centers in Bangalore
- Help with improving the curriculam
Who should I contact for further info?
- Please email
firstname.lastname@example.org. This email is directly handled by students of AC3. If they are not able to answer your queries, you may also contact Balaji:
or Talish: email@example.com.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"